Topline: The fallout from Prince Andrew’s BBC interview, by which he defended his friendship with convicted intercourse offender Jeffrey Epstein, continues as his alleged use of the n-word throughout a gathering has surfaced, an alleged Epstein sufferer is urging him to talk to U.S. investigators, and KPMG dropped its help of his enterprise initiative.
- Rohan Silva, a former tech advisor to for British Prime Minister David Cameron, revealed an op-ed within the London Evening Standard claiming that Andrew used racist time period “****** in the woodpile” throughout a gathering some years in the past. Buckingham Palace denies that Andrew used these phrases.
- Accounting big KPMG stated it will not renew its sponsorship of Pitch@Palace, an initiative launched by Andrew in 2014 that connects entrepreneurs with enterprise leaders and mentors from firms together with Google, Tencent and Microsoft, nonetheless it denied that its choice was linked to Andrew’s interview. Cybersecurity agency Cisco additionally reduce ties with the initiative, however stated it did so in April.
- A girl recognized solely as “Jane Doe 15”, who says she was subjected to a “vicious, prolonged sexual assault by Epstein,” when she was 15, has known as on Andrew to talk to the U.S. authorities. Andrew says he would testify if his attorneys advise him to.
- On Monday, college students on the University of Huddersfield triggered a course of to attempt to take away Andrew as its chancellor, whereas the Outward Bound Trust, a charity for which Andrew is patron, will meet to evaluation points raised from the interview, the BBC experiences.
- British lawmaker Chuka Umunna has prompt Andrew withdraw from public life, calling the royal a “complete disgrace” on ITV’s Good Morning Britain programme.
News peg: Andrew’s interview with the BBC that aired over the weekend was dubbed by critics as a “car crash”. The prince had drawn fireplace for his friendship with Epstein and his declare that he had no recollection of assembly Virginia Roberts, now Giuffre, a lady who claims she was made to have intercourse with the royal 3 times when she was a youngster. He repeatedly denied that they’d met, saying that in a single occasion he was taking his daughter to a pizza get together on the night time Giuffre alleges they met. Critics additionally slammed Andrew’s failure to apologise to—and even point out—girls who say they had been abused by Epstein.
Key background: Andrew took a raffle that the BBC interview would draw a line underneath his relationship with Epstein nevertheless it has raised extra questions on what the Prince knew in regards to the disgraced financier. Andrew, who resigned as commerce envoy for the U.Okay. in 2011 amid questions in regards to the friendship, denies that he noticed something suspicious when he was round Epstein.
Epstein, who was convicted of soliciting prostitution from a minor in 2008, died in August in jail as he awaited trial on fees of sex-trafficking.