Astros Executive Criticized for ‘Frightening’ Outburst at Female Reporters


HOUSTON — A Houston Astros government shouted at three feminine reporters in what Sports Illustrated referred to as an “offensive and frightening” method as he praised the workforce’s nearer Roberto Osuna, who had been suspended for home violence final yr, after the workforce’s playoff victory on Saturday night time.

In the Astros clubhouse after the sport on Saturday, Brandon Taubman, Houston’s assistant basic supervisor, turned to the reporters and yelled repeatedly, “Thank God we got Osuna! I’m so glad we got Osuna!,” punctuating the second sentence with an expletive, based on a Sports Illustrated column revealed Monday. The Astros have been closely criticized for buying Osuna final season whereas he was serving a 75-game suspension for home violence.

In an announcement, the Astros disputed Sports Illustrated’s story, calling it “completely irresponsible,” and stated that Taubman was commenting solely on what had occurred within the sport and was “supporting the player during a difficult time.”

Osuna had a poor outing Saturday, giving up a house run and blowing the save in Game 6 of the American League Championship Series in opposition to the Yankees — although he in the end was credited with the win after Jose Altuve’s pennant-winning homer within the backside of the ninth.

However, video of at least one postgame interview shows Osuna in a buoyant mood in the celebration, which was so raucous that players told reporters the team had run out of beer. Multiple reporters from other news outlets — including Yahoo Sports and the Houston Chronicle — said on Twitter that they had witnessed Taubman’s behavior and corroborated the Sports Illustrated account, and a Chronicle article said that no interviews were being conducted during the time of the outburst.

Osuna, an All-Star for the Toronto Blue Jays in 2017, became available on the trade market in 2018 — at a reduced price — because of his suspension. Jeff Luhnow, the Astros’ general manager, told The New York Times last October that he and the team owner, Jim Crane, expected to be criticized for acquiring him, but that they had done extensive background work on Osuna.

“I knew there would be some consequences of making the move, but I didn’t want to not make the move just because of that,” Luhnow said at the time. “I was willing to take that on personally, and Jim and I agreed we were willing to have the organization take it on, subject to us doing our homework as best we could and feeling comfortable with the situation and the potential outcomes.”

“Did we take a risk?” he added. “No question. Are there people that are still upset about it? No question. We’re doing whatever we can at this point, supporting the relevant causes.”

The Astros donated $214,000 last year to complete a women’s center for Family Services of Southeast Texas, and have participated in other initiatives and programs related to domestic violence prevention.

Charges against Osuna were withdrawn in September 2018 after the alleged victim — the mother of his child — declined to travel to Toronto from Mexico and testify against him. Osuna agreed to stay away from the woman for a year and continue counseling.

But the clubhouse incident Saturday thrust the issue back to the forefront, and the Astros’ explanation will seemingly do little, if anything, to temper the backlash.



Source link Nytimes.com

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *